The Order of the Arrow was founded in July of 1915 by E. Urner Goodman.
Early in 1944, the Executive Board and the Camp Committee of the
Stonewall Jackson Area Council met and discussed the formation of an
Order of the Arrow Lodge. On February 19, 1944, Mr. Robert E. ‘Pop’
Bruce, a field commissioner for the Stonewall Jackson Area Council,
received a letter from H. Lloyd Nelson, the National Chief at that
time, detailing the procedure to establish a lodge. The official
establishment of the lodge was finalized on March 29, 1944, by the
Stonewall Jackson Area Council Executive Board. That evening, by
formal action on a motion by ‘Pop’ Bruce, the Council Executive Board
created Shenandoah Lodge 258.
The calling-out ceremony was perfected during the early part of
the 1944 camp season. Those scouts and Scouters called out for OA
membership during the summer of 1944 at Camp Shenandoah were: